Followers

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

STARCITYGAMES OPEN SERIES: ST. LOUIS!

Hi St. Louis, we meet again!
I PITY THA FOOL!!!
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?
This time I had the pleasure to visit St. Louis for the 4th time during my epic journey, but instead of coming to visit friends or play in a WMCQ, it was for the StarCityGames Open Series: St. Louis! This trip was even more special though, as Legacy Head Judge Jason Long has given me the opportunity to TEAM LEAD for the first time!!!!

I was super nervous going into St. Louis, especially when I found out that I had 2 senior judges on my team that I had either worked with, or had heard of, L2 Maximilian Schroeder and L3 David Lyford-Smith....wait! That is the Head Judge for SCG Open Buffalo! I can't screw this up, especially with DLS on my team. I got my nerves under control, and met up with my team.

I had done deck checks many times over the last couple months, and knew from the judges that I had worked with what needed to be done, when to do things, and what to watch for. But when you are in the driver's seat, and not just along for the ride, the experience feels completely different.
THE TEAM THAT MADE ME SHINE!
EVENT REGISTRATION
THE FIELD!

My team consisted of the following judges: David Lyford-Smith (L3), Max Schroeder(L2), James Hedges(L1), and Amber Kintner(L0), Amber would be testing this weekend. We introduced ourselves, and went over the routine of deck checks. I then informed my team about my incentive for the weekend. I was to give a artist print of surgical extraction to the team member that did the most amazing job...and made me look good!
DLS, DAN STEPHENS, AND JAMES HEDGES 
Our event went smoothly, with very little problems. I would expect nothing less from an event with Jason Long as the head judge. Very few problems arose, and when they did, they were corrected swiftly.

We had one interesting situation that arose at Top 8 deck checks.
One of the players handed in his Charbelcher deck, and then handed me his sideboard. On his deck registration paper, he didn't register a sideboard. THAT'S A PROBLEM!
MR. STEPHENS DOING SOME MENTORING
I tell Jason Long about the issue, and he investigates, and determines that the player had not used a sideboard all tournament and finds out that the player's brother had told him he needed a sideboard, so he had 15 islands sleeved up. We instructed him to remove them and good luck in Top 8.
Other than that there were not many problems at this tournament, which is a sign of a well-ran tournament. Everyone on staff did an amazing job, and I can only hope that events that I get to do run as smoothly as this one did.

AMBER WITH HER PRIZE...GREAT JOB!

Amber Kintner ended up passing her L1 (congrats!) and with her stellar performance on my team, I gave the print to her, she had earned it. I chatted with the members of my team after the event, and asked for feedback, and will continue to put all feedback I receive to use to continue growing as a judge.




I next depart for Las Vegas, such a long trip across the country, but this should be exciting!
Until next time!
Mikey

No comments:

Post a Comment